Audiology & Speech Therapy
A comprehensive audiology and speech therapy program.
Early identification and intervention of hearing problems is essential to helping a child develop fully, including acquiring the necessary speech and language skills so vital to communication.
At Florida Hospital for Children, our team of audiologists and speech development specialists work closely with other members of our medical team to assess hearing issues, diagnose the problem and recommend a comprehensive program that can include non-surgical and surgical options as well as ongoing therapy and rehabilitation.
We understand all too well that speech and language skills require a concerted effort by educators, parents and healthcare professionals so your child or adolescent can have the best opportunity to live a normal, healthy life. We back our multidisciplinary approach to hearing health with the latest research, most advanced technologies and highly experienced professionals who care deeply about your child’s health.
Our audiology and speech therapy program offers:
- A skilled team that specializes in pediatric medicine and work only with children and adolescents.
- Comprehensive testing and diagnostic equipment including audiometric evaluations to determine the type and degree of hearing loss and tympanometry and impedance audiology to evaluate middle ear function.
- The ability to identify problems with comprehending speech and following instructions.
- Brainstem response testing to assess hearing and brainstem function.
- Hearing aids, assistive listening technologies and other therapies to restore hearing and help your child learn vital speech and language skills.
We are able to treat a range of issues, including:
- Speech disorders such as articulation errors, motor sequencing, dysarthria and phonologic disorders
- Language disorders including language delay, central auditory disorders and pragmatic disorders
- Voice disorders
- Developmental disability
- Hearing loss
- Swallowing problems
- Audiologic evaluation of infants and children who may have chromosomal or genetic abnormalities
In addition to assessing, diagnosing and treating auditory, speech and language issues, our team of experts can also work with your child to overcome specific impairments as well as perform rehabilitation after implantation of cochlear or Baha implants. We work with you, your child and other stakeholders to provide comprehensive and ongoing rehabilitation so your child can develop normally and fully.